International Development in Oceania Committee (IDOC)
The International Development in Oceania Committee (IDOC) is a Standing Committee of the International Literacy Association (ILA) and has a long history of collaboration and cooperation with and between the New Zealand Literacy Association (NZLA) and the Australian Literacy Educators’ Association (ALEA).
The logo of IDOC depicts a wave motif from both Oceania and New Zealand beside the star motif from an Australian legend of the Southern Cross.
This collaboration has always been in the interest of building capacity and capabilities of key literacy workers in the South Pacific Islands. In more recent times, a focus has also been on how these two ILA affiliates can identify and work on areas of mutual interest and need.
IDOC’s aims are to:
- facilitate the promotion of ILA membership and council development in the Oceania region
- identify and/or support professional development projects in the region
- assist with proposal development for ILA and other grants.
NZLA has representation on IDOC and supports its aims and objectives. The current NZLA representatives are Glenice Andrews, NZLA’s National President and Joy Hawke, NZLA’s President Elect.
The New Zealand Literacy Association, through council support sponsor two Oceania teachers to attend the annual NZLA National Conference.
Each year NZLA work in partnership with Scholastic New Zealand on the Books for Oceania project. For every book purchased, Scholastic contribute a book of equal value. Scholastic package and freight these books to the chosen Oceania recipient. To date $88,000-00 of books have been donated and distributed to schools in the Oceania region.
NZLA Local Councils who wish to achieve Honour Council status are encouraged to:
- Provide a regional or international membership to an individual or a school in the Oceania region
- Supply new high-quality children’s books (fiction or non-fiction) to a school in the Oceania region
- Assist in funding the attendance of an Oceania teacher to an NZLA conference
- Support a regional council project within the Oceania region
Oceania Teachers to NZLA Conferences
|2006||Fiji||Matavuso Kotobalavu||Tai Tokerau||Bay of Islands|
|2008||Cook Islands||Kathy George, Peo Vano||Waikato||Hamilton|
|2010||Maureen Goodwin from Cook Is
(attended as chair of IDOC but living in NZ at the time, not sponsored by NZLA).
|IRA World Congress||Auckland|
|2011||Bay of Plenty||Rotorua|
|2012||Cook Islands||Vaine Teokoitu and Maara Scheel||Hawkes Bay||Hastings|
|2013||IDOC Committee Members||Cook Islands (Kath George, Eve Reea)
Fiji (Apolonia Tamata), Niue (Folia Tohovaka) Samoa (Dinah Iusitini)
Adi Mere Cula
|Tai Tokerau||Bay of Islands|
|2017||IDOC Committee Members||Apolonia Tamata – Fiji
Folia Tohovaka – Niue