- Time: 3.30pm Afternoon Tea, 4- 6pm Presentation
- Venue: Puketaha School, Hamilton
- Member: 40
- Non Members: 70
In this practical workshop, Sheena and Louise will discuss:
- the shared reading approach and its place in the balanced reading programme
- the importance of talk in shared reading
- resources to use for shared reading
- the benefits of using shared reading across all levels of the school
- planning and managing shared reading
- a range of engaging independent reading activities that can be used in shared, guided and independent reading
Sheena Cameron is an experienced teacher who has taught in New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. She has taught at primary, intermediate and tertiary levels. Sheena currently facilitates literacy workshops both in New Zealand and internationally and is the author of a number of books including Teaching Reading Comprehension Strategies (2009) and with Louise Dempsey, The Writing Book (2013), The Oral Language Book (2016) and The Reading Book (2019).
Louise Dempsey is an experienced teacher, consultant and trainer who has worked in New Zealand and the United Kingdom. She facilitates literacy training and professional learning around New Zealand and Australia and has completed a range of writing projects for NZ and English publishers, including the Department of Education in the United Kingdom. With Sheena Cameron, Louise co-authored The Writing Book (2013), The Oral Language Book (2016) and The Reading Book (2019).