The NZLA Service Award is an award offered by NZLA, and exists to acknowledge and honour those members who provide outstanding service to their local council.
- To identify and acknowledge members who have provided outstanding service to their local council.
- To ensure that the prestigious nature of the award is valued by implementing procedures which facilitate consistent standards.
- To publicly acknowledge the value of the members and the award by announcing the award at the next Annual Meeting, acknowledging the award at the next NZLA Conference, presenting the award at a local council event if possible, and publishing award detail in Literacy Forum New Zealand, and on the website.
- Councils may nominate potential recipients at any time based on the following:
The criteria include:
– The length and nature of membership and service to the council
– Details of conference/workshop presentations at local council or NZLA (which should be on at least three occasions)
– Evidence of leadership role in organizing council events or literacy related events including conference/seminars endorsed by the Council
– Specific literacy promotion or leadership role in literacy development for the region.
- The nominee should be considered with reference to the above criteria. To be eligible for the award the nominee should meet the first and at least two of the other criteria.
- The nomination, with full supporting details, should be forwarded to the National Executive of NZLA.
- If the NZLA Executive accepts the nomination, the president will inform the president of the relevant council immediately, who will inform the nominee if appropriate and a suitable date requested for presentation.
- If the NZLA Executive deems that the nominee does not meet the criteria, the president of NZLA will write to the president of the nominating council detailing in what way the nomination was not successful. If appropriate, this information may suggest that the submission did not include enough information on which to make a judgement and that it may be resubmitted.
- Delegates will be informed of decisions in confidence at the next Annual Meeting.
- The president will inform the successful nominee(s) of the intention to present the citation as part of the opening of the next NZLA conference. This should be in sufficient time for the person or people to accept and be prepared to reply.
- For a successful nominee, the national executive will prepare a certificate to be signed by the president of NZLA, and framed by the national executive.
- Either the president of NZLA or a member of the national executive, whoever is the closest geographically, will present the award at a Council event.
- The name(s) of the recipient(s), photograph, Council and award will be included in the history of NZLA document on the NZLA Website.
- Recipients of the NZLA Service Award will be announced at the annual meeting following the award.
- A copy of the award’s citation will be forwarded to the editor of the Literacy Forum NZ for publication. The council of which the recipient/s is a member will be asked to forward a photograph to the editor of Literacy Forum NZ to accompany the article. All recipients who have received awards during the 12 months preceding a national conference will be acknowledged at the conference opening.
Reviewed June 2018